Fastest way to shift Australia to 100% renewables
Join Amber today
Go beyond carbon offsetting and use energy when renewables are plentiful to support a faster shift away from fossil fuels.
Why switch to Amber?
Fair wholesale energy price
Access electricity at wholesale prices, with no retail mark-up. We make $0 on your energy use unlike other retailers.
Reward you for using renewables
Amber is the first electricity retailer that rewards you for using more green energy and less fossil fuel energy.
Control your costs and carbon footprint
Get empowered to tap into the real cost of energy through our mobile app, so you can save even more by shifting your usage to greener, cheaper times.
Greener = Cheaper
Behind the magic of Amber is one simple truth: renewable energy is now the cheapest form of power. You’re not alone if you didn’t realise - most retailers’ fixed price plans mask this juicy fact.
A $15 subscription fee is all we make - unlike other retailers who profit from how much energy you use.
Easy switch and risk free
You’re all switched
There are no lock in contracts and no exit fees if you decide Amber’s not for you.
Take 3 minutes to fill out a short form. Make sure to have your billing information and ID ready.
Download the App
Start seeing wholesale prices in real time and tracking your energy and renewables usage.
We break up with your retailer and install a smart meter if you need one, at no additional cost.
Rated 4.2 stars for customer services from 330 reviews
Join thousands of Aussies shifting Australia to 100% renewable energy.Join Amber today
Learn more about Amber
Sign up to receive more information about Amber and the exclusive CommBank deal.
Frequently asked questions
How does Amber work?
When it comes to going green, Amber’s doing energy differently.
With Amber, a $15 monthly subscription fee empowers you to access wholesale energy prices that drop when there are more renewables in the grid.
With the Amber app, you can save even more by shifting your usage to greener, cheaper times. And by ‘save’, we mean cash and the climate.
Renewable energy is now the cheapest form of power. Our mission is to transition Australia to 100% renewables.
How does Amber make money?
The big energy retailers earn their money via the retail markup they add to the price of electricity. They make more money when you use more electricity, and when your bills are higher. What’s good for them is bad for you.
We reckon we’ve found a better way to do things. We charge a flat $15 subscription fee to cover the cost of running our business, so we can focus on one thing - helping you lower your electricity bills by unlocking the value of cheap renewables. No hidden costs, no contracts, and no exit fees.
What is the onboarding process?
We understand changing electricity retailers is not something you do everyday. Fortunately, it is pretty easy and you won't lose power at any stage in the onboarding process!
After you have signed up online (it only takes 3 minutes), we will take care of everything for you:
1. Meter read: We contact your provider and arrange the final meter read.
2. Smart meter: If you don’t have a smart meter, we’ll get our partner to put one in for you at no cost.
3. Amber app: Download the free Amber app and start viewing live prices and get insights on your energy usage.
And if you change your mind during the 10-day cooling off period, you can easily switch back to your old retailer.
How can I keep track of wholesale prices?
Do you offer Carbon Neutral or 100% GreenPower Plans?
Amber’s whole model is about going beyond offsetting, to incentivise and reward people for shifting WHEN they use power. With Amber, you are empowered to use energy when it is greenest (and cheapest).
In the meantime, the best we can all do is offset any remaining unavoidable carbon emissions from our electricity use. We have two plans to choose from to help you do that:
- Carbon Neutral plan (default plan): we offset the carbon produced in generating your electricity by buying Certified Emission Reductions (CERs), recognised under the National Carbon Offset Standard (NCOS). These are generated by international sustainability developments which reduce CO2 emissions. The prices displayed on our website and on our app already include the cost of providing this carbon offset, which only turns out to be 0.1 cents/kWh excl GST.
- 100% GreenPower plan: GreenPower is a government-accredited scheme that enables consumers to buy ‘certificates’ generated by renewable energy sources which can offset usage from the grid. In other words, rather than buying general carbon offsets which could come from a range of different projects - tree planting or wetland restoration, for example - you will specifically offset your unavoidable carbon emissions by investing in renewable energy generation.
Through the GreenPower scheme renewable generators are awarded certificates when they generate electricity, and consumers buy these certificates to offset their consumption. This essentially gives renewable energy a price premium over dirty sources, to encourage more development of renewable sources.
The cost of 100% GreenPower scheme is an additional charge per kWh added to the price you pay for energy. Check our pricing factsheets to view current GreenPower pricing for your network.